How to build a resume using the resume builder app at USAJOBS.gov
- Sign into your USAJOBS account.
- Go to your Documents.
- Make sure you’re in the Resumes section and select the Upload or build resume button.
- Click Build resume.
- Name your new resume and click Next.
- Click Add Work Experience, enter the required information and click Save Work Experience. To add additional work experience, repeat this step or click Next to continue with your education information.
- Click Add Education, enter the required information and click Save Education. Repeat this step to add additional education or click Next to continue with your references.
- Click Add Reference, enter the required information and click Save Reference. You may add up to five references on your resume. Repeat this step to add an additional reference or click Next to continue to the next step.
- You can enter additional information on your resume such as job-related training, language skills, organizations/affiliations, professional publications, and other information. Click the corresponding button under each section to add your information, enter your information and click Add or Save for each section once completed.
- Click Finish to save your resume. Your new resume will appear in your Documents list.
- Click View on the resume icon to preview your resume. To edit your resume click Edit on the resume icon and it will bring you to the first page of your resume in the resume builder tool. Click the Searchable checkbox on the resume to make it searchable by hiring managers.
- For security reasons, your session will time out after a period of inactivity. You should Save periodically so that you do not lose any work.
- To edit your USAJOBS resume-builder resume, click on your username at the top of the page and select Documents from the menu, then select the “Edit” link located below the resume. This will bring you to the first page of your resume.
Tips for formatting resumes in USAJOBS resume builder
You can copy and paste text from Word documents into the resume builder. However, some formatting in these documents may not work in the USAJOBS resume builder. To correct formatting errors inside your resume, you must first save the original file in a .txt format.
How to upload your resume to USAJOBS
Once your offline resume is complete, here is how you would upload it to USAJOBS (you can upload or build up to five resumes):
- Sign into your USAJOBS account
- Click Documents
- Click Upload or build resume
- Choose Upload resume
- Browse the documents stored on your computer, select the resume you would like to upload, and select Open
- Name your resume. The default name will match the file title from your computer. You have the option to edit the name of the resume.
- Click Complete Upload.
“How to Build a Resume,” USAJOBS, US Office of Personnel Management, accessed March 10, 2017, https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/account/documents/resume/build/.
“How to upload a resume,” USAJOBS, US Office of Personnel Management, accessed March 13, 2017, https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/account/documents/resume/upload/.